News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Danish Juggling Convention

Started by The Void, 06 January, 2014, 00:21:34

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BKA

The Void

After being almost "summoned" at short notice, but with a cheap flight available, it was off to Denmark for me, for my first kendama excursion of the year. Location was Copenhagen, at the Danish Juggling Convention, where about 100 folk were gathering for the weekend, including of course all the lovely Krommies. It was great to meet/meet up again with Philip, Thorkild, Mathias, plus Katrine, Theo, Emil, Morten, Morten, Alex, Zack and sundry other clickers whose names temporarily escape me.
I arrived in a bit of a state, having woken up that morning with a nasty head cold, but that wasn't much reason not to play a little K.E.N., so off we went on the Friday evening.  As so often happens, meeting & seeing someone's skills in person will show you much more than a video will, so I was really impressed with Theo's skills - they are really rocketing along. Alex too had some great sequences, and it was cool to see the Danish Kendama Godfather Morten's fast paced skills in action too. In the evening there was an Open Stage show, in which Theo and Alex, and later Philip and Thorkild showed off a few groovy moves to the appreciative crowd. Next? Crash space on a crash mat in a sleeping hall... not perfect, but it'll do.
Some zzzs, a shower, coffee and the nice food provided by the convention all helped me get through the Saturday. Still feeling the worse for wear, but more clicking was the order of the day, in front of the KDK stall (preferably over the little carpet circles, not the rough concrete kendamakiller floor). I beat a personal record, getting 6 connected UFOs in a row, but not on video. More games of K.E.N., plus a great session of silly games inside a hemibuckyball. (Twerk Lighthouse, anyone?) During the convention Games, Philip took over compèring duties for one game, which I thought was going to be a Unicorn battle, but no. Instead, it was a unicorn workout endurance. "Hey, you tricked us into exercising!". Splendidly daft. The Gala show was in the evening. Highlights for me included Lauge's ring act and Samuli's rope and diabolo acts.
Crash.
Sunday, and I woke up feeling a little better. A game of Points, and a game of KEN with Phil & Theo was the order of the morning. Ooh, I won the latter! But only narrowly edging out Theo. It was the only game I'd win all weekend, but it was the playing that was the thing.[nb](Wherein I caught the conscience of a (vi)king?)[/nb] Usually on the last day of a convention, the jugglers hang around for as long as they can, squeezing out every last second of playtime that they can from the event. But oddly, everyone seemed to be heading superfast out of the door. So we packed up the stall, and headed back to the KDK store to drop off stock, then a delicious lunch at a cafe/bar and onwards to P&K's for coffee, nattering, pizza and handball. Okay, the latter was on TV. Go Denmark! Zack and I then headed off to Thorkild's pad for the night, getting in a couple of games of kittydama, plus "that game we played at a Japanese guy's house" (for want of a better name). Zzzzs are good.
Monday morning, and it was back to rendezvous at the shop, for cool talking sessions, more coffee and clicking games, including several rounds of the Spin-Off variations. Thorkild pretty much killed every game stone dead. #skills Time for a couple of #Krommies to sign up to the BKA membership scheme, and add a couple of things to my luggage. Before it was time for me to leave, as is traditional,(100% of the time, honest! Okay, okay, twice.) it began to snow. I got given a demo of the freestyle routine that's going to be hitting the shores of Greenland very soon. It's all about the synchromesh. Look out, Nook and beyond, you're going to love it.
Goodbyes time.
Thanks so much especially to Philip, Katrine and Thorkild for your lovely hospitality and company. Until next time, Denmark!

Photos tomorrow, probably.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Kev

Looks like you had a great time [user]Void[/user], and it seems like they have massive unicorns in Denmark. (Not a sentence I ever expected to write).

theobau

It was nice jamming with you void.
- You got me on that c-whip!

Until next time!
/Theo