News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Inspiration . . . what's yours?

Started by Kev, 18 January, 2014, 13:34:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev

When it comes to kendama, there are as many styles of play as they are players. If you want to become excellent at anything, you need to surround yourself with excellence. With this in mind, the one player that I always return to is Takumi Okada. For me, no one else I've seen has the refined elegance, cool efficiency and subtle humour seen in his kendama play. He makes the hardest tricks look like a simple cup catch and his nonchalant, 'so what?' glances at the camera are as cool as ice.

These two videos capture this excellence perfectly:
http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,733.0.html [Freedom Kendama by Okada-san]

If you've not seen them before I recommend that you watch them a few times and try to absorb something of his classy effortless style into your own play.

Some of us have people to play, practice and learn with. Some of us are more the 'lone wolf' - the only player for miles around. Either way, we're all lucky to have this forum, the BKA and other kendama organisations, teams, players and friends around the world who are willing to share what they do with us.

Like many of us, most of my kendama play is inspired by you guys and the videos that can be found online from the many amazing players around the world, some of whom, like Takumi Okada, are sadly no longer with us.

Let's keep sharing our stuff - and his stuff - to make sure we keep getting better together.

So . . . who / what is your inspiration?