News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Alex Kendama Edit Two

Started by shalafi, 19 August, 2014, 08:19:11

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

Our good friend Alex Smith has released his second edit. I saw it this morning on Kendama USA.

Knowing that he's quite an active member of the forum, I'm surprised this video is not here yet :)

Nice tricks, and nice ponytail :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

We had a sneak preview of this in Denmark. Great stuff, Alex!
Loved the first trick, the 2:07, those reverse turns out of handrolls, 2:34, "...and, in fact, most of the rest of the guide".

Copacetic.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

There was one "Clifftop turn Europe" in the video with I found specially amazing
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

the milky oolong

Very nice indeed. Good to see another USA kendama edit where technique and inventiveness take precedence over showy spacewalk/handroll/swirly stuff. Though the spacewalk exits to Monkey's Chair are really cool! And the reverse exits to Lighthouse!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

AlexSmith

Just came in to post thanks, thanks for beating me to it Shalafi! Glad you guys enjoyed it!

The handlestall around USA (cliff around USA) is a trick I've had on my mind for a loong time, took a lot of practise to get the earths down well enough to even fathom trying it. I had a better framed shot of it lined up while in Barcelona, but unfortunately the camera auto-stopped recording just before I landed it. I was so sad!

@milkyoolong, thanks! what is a monkeys chair? hehe

Anyone have any ideas what the hand roll exit (2:15-2:25) should be called? This isn't a common trick, but I've seen it done to lighthouse once before by Oase, and I've seen people flip the ken off the back of their hand to (ken) spike as well. I guess something simple like 'spacewalk -> hand roll to backhand lighthouse' could work? (where 'backhand' implies you throw to lighthouse off the back of your hand, instead of letting the tama loop around and grabbing the ken).

The Void

Quote from: AlexSmith on 19 August, 2014, 22:10:47Anyone have any ideas what the hand roll exit (2:15-2:25) should be called? This isn't a common trick, but I've seen it done to lighthouse once before by Oase, and I've seen people flip the ken off the back of their hand to (ken) spike as well. I guess something simple like 'spacewalk -> hand roll to backhand lighthouse' could work? (where 'backhand' implies you throw to lighthouse off the back of your hand, instead of letting the tama loop around and grabbing the ken).
Hi Alex,
"Backhand" seems to make sense, but is already used in the sense of "doing trick X with the hand turned the other way up".
May I suggest "hand-off"?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

PikWik

nice edit. proper playing with some bangers and all around clean style.
thanks for posting shalafi

and i liked the FS 50/50 shove-it out. i was like, "hey, i can do that"

the milky oolong

Quote from: AlexSmith on 19 August, 2014, 22:10:47
@milkyoolong, thanks! what is a monkeys chair? hehe

Candle grip the ken, tama balance on the cup rim. Around 0:57, Monkey's Chair > Fast Hand Bird > Miss!, 1:02 Spacewalk > Monkey's Chair > Fast Hand Bird > Spike :)
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate