News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Around Tunbridge Wells

Started by Dave, 01 November, 2011, 21:52:37

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

Hi Thomas,
Welcome to the forum, and well done again!

donald grant

Yes, congratulations to both the new members of the "Wells" video club....

Still haven't done it, but I tell you, there'd better be a camera running when it finally happens...:)

MrSquirrel

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but what is a Penguin? I tried to Google it but I couldn't find an answer.

br4d24

pretty sure its like a backhanded base cup.

lol i used to do all my base cup catches like that until i noticed in edits i was doing it differently than everyone else. Now im pretty good at both, doing the whole gravity scoop thing from backhand basecup to forehand basecup is pretty slick.

BKA

@Mr Squirrel: Hold out your hand with your thumb upwards, palm facing across your body. Now start to rotate your hand/forearm so that the palm starts to face downwards. Keep going until the thumb is downwards, then turn a little bit more (your elbow should now have risen up) so that your thumb and palm are both pointing outside, away from your body. That is Penguin position. It is named for the style of catch used in juggling in the same position (except the juggling catch is usually done lower, with the arms straighter).
(Alternative explanation: That catch they're all doing in the video! ;-) )

MrSquirrel

Quote from: BKA on 28 February, 2013, 13:04:07
@Mr Squirrel: Hold out your hand with your thumb upwards, palm facing across your body. Now start to rotate your hand/forearm so that the palm starts to face downwards. Keep going until the thumb is downwards, then turn a little bit more (your elbow should now have risen up) so that your thumb and palm are both pointing outside, away from your body. That is Penguin position. It is named for the style of catch used in juggling in the same position (except the juggling catch is usually done lower, with the arms straighter).
(Alternative explanation: That catch they're all doing in the video! ;-) )
Thank you!

The Void

After having hit 55 for a second time earlier this week....

http://juggling.tv/12936 ← Please go to JTV for HD/download
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

LarsVegas

Congrats, looks very exhausting, your wiping your forehead several times :)
I'm still struggling with consistent Around the World :(
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

SamB

Yessss!!! Well done Void! Really working the knees! That was terrible hole placement for the last penguin, great save! You'll need to change your record in the back of "Knees" now.
Who will be next???
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

JamesFM

That was epic. How you did that while that person was loudly dropping the juggling pin beats me. Mind blowing concentration.

BrandonYoder

Congrats void!
i cant wait to finally get this...so frustrating! ha

br4d24

Awesome video indeed! Its always fun watching The Void play, he has a much more "old school" way of playing (or whatever you wanna call it). Always refreshing after watching the newer kendama greats.

I think tomorrow will be day one of me trying to nail this :) I might have a slight advantage with the penguins! Funny story but when i first started playing i always caught base cup like that; the regular way felt odd using a big performer. I can do both ways now but the penguin is deff more difficult with a regular dama.

The Void

Thanks chaps!
@Lars, brushing my hair away, not mopping brow. :)
@James After 20 years as a juggler, I just don't hear that stuff any more!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

Quote from: br4d24 on 13 March, 2013, 11:46:28
Its always fun watching The Void play, he has a much more "old school" way of playing...

The Void certainly has a very precise, meticulous playing style; I imagine that's what makes a 2-time BKA champ, and I'm sure it helps a lot with the old consistency http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,209.75.html

Congratulations, Void, thanks for the inspiring look of wonder/terror/disbelief/triumph on the final catch!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

Dimensions

How do you remember the order of the tricks???
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6