News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

bilboquete tricks >??

Started by s070s, 19 October, 2014, 15:55:35

Previous topic - Next topic

should we have a bilboquete tricks and trick names thread ?

Yes
4 (100%)
No
0 (0%)
you stink !!
0 (0%)
why bother with a kendama ??
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: 02 November, 2014, 14:55:35

s070s

with the threat of being beaten to a pulp bij the mighty BKA headchief  :P

should we have a bilboquete tricks and trick names thread ?
i can do some tricks , but don't know enough and really don't know any names

and i don't understand the bilbostyle site (which haven had a update for 3 / 5 years)

you can learn so much for your kendama skils from bilboquete

BKA

s070s

haha thx ;-)

i've looked at the bilbosytle site
and i'am gonna have some problem translating , but we'll  see

the milky oolong

I have been watching Bilboquet Edits for a while now and have been trying to work out the system of naming things. I have not gotten very far. I have lost the link to one edit where every trick was filmed in slow-mo with names, and though many were contradictory, many were steady. The terms Rabbit, Schmorbluck, Switch/Backside/Frontside/Opposite all seem to refer to both parts of the bilboquet doing different things. Example:

Fluidtrick (Bilbostyle) gives in one edit the name Double Kenobi to what I think we in Kendama terms would call Whirlwind Fast Hand Aeroplane > Tradespike (start ken grip, throw whole kendama outwards, grab tama, lob tama over ken, grab ken in ken grip, spike.) That would suggest to me a Kenobi is the name for Fast Hand transfer, and not really the trick itself.

EDIT: I think that this is natural when you realize that a greater majority of bilbo tricks start with a loaded shaft, so the whole 'Whirlwind (and while this is happening) Fast Hand Aero (Whirlwind still going on, wait for it) > Tradespike' is a bit cumbersome.

Although I am pretty sure the usage of Reverse/Outside/Switch etc is sketchy, I am more convinced though that I just haven't understood the manner of naming bilbo tricks. The forum on Bilbostyle seems pretty organized and direct, my French is just too lousy when it comes to technical descriptions with verbs and adverbs flying in all directions. I'd love it if someone on the forum could explain it to me (and find me a bilboquet supplier!)

EDIT2: Have found the lost video:
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

s070s

wow thats a great start !!
i've seen lots of bilbo edits to, but nut this one
the vid really helps

thx

fredCP

Well, as a french guy, I heard your call for help and searched the Bilbostyle site  ;) I don't have much time, but I'm gonna try to clarify the terms the milky used :

- "Kenobi" indicates a grip change during the trick, getting from a ken grip (named "Classic") to a ball grip (named "Opposite"), or from a ball grip to a ken grip (in this case, you precise "Opposite" at the beginning of the trick name). You were right, it's just a transfer, so you have to combine it with something : for example with "Schmorbluck" (= Swing In) : a "Schmorblug Kenobi" (= Swing In to Fast Hand Aeroplane) or an "Opposite Schmorbluck Kenobi" (= Aeroplane to Fast Hand Swing In).

- "Rabbit" : "a side movement towards the outside", and "Harakiri" : "a side movement towards yourself" (I translate it word for word).

- "Switch" : you take the ken with your weak hand. "Reverse" : you take the ken with the base facing upwards.

- "Backside" and "Frontside" indicate the way the ball or the ken rotates (the "Reverse" in kendama's Earth Turn / Reverse Earth Turn, or the difference between Jumping Stick / Tomahawk). "Inside" and "Outside" are the 2 others rotating directions.

That's it, hope it helped  :)

Fred

the milky oolong

Merci, Fred, très aidant. From my observations I would like to add that:

Pop is a Jumping Stick
Varial is a half-Whirlwind
Skywalk Zero is a Spacewalk > Tradespike.

Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

fredCP

Pop is described as an Earth Turn ; you add the number of rotations (Pop 360 = Earth turn, Pop 720 = Double Earth Turn) and the direction of the rotation (Inside Pop 360, etc.). I guess a Jumping Stick would be named "Opposite Pop".

Varial is presented as a half-Whirlwind indeed.

The last one isn't in their list.

s070s

i thought 'swap ' also was a real bilbo kind of name

s070s

i know you can have a lot of provide , when you have some bilbo skills to put into your kendama trick bag.

so to keep this thread a live ..
post your bilbo setup please !!!  8)

s070s

luckly i've got two 'bilbostyle' bilbo's
-a 250 with two stripped block
-a champ 180

The Void

Quote from: s070s on 12 January, 2015, 12:22:36i know you can have a lot of provide , when you have some bilbo skills to put into your kendama trick bag.

so to keep this thread a live ..
post your bilbo setup please !!!  8)
I don't think "provide" is the right word in English...  ?
But anyway, yes, sir!
Kendama for scale. I don't have one of the chunky new style bilbos.
(Please log in to see the attached file.)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

s070s

tja pardon... ik heb niet de luxe om in mijn eigen taal te kunnen spreken hier.

s070s

The Void

Quote from: s070s on 16 January, 2015, 11:24:19tja pardon... ik heb niet de luxe om in mijn eigen taal te kunnen spreken hier.
Ha, of course. Sorry, my friend, I didn't mean to pick on you, that would just be nasty. Normally if a non-native English speaker writes something in mistaken English, we "get the idea" of what they meant, and move on, no problem. It's just that this time I genuinely didn't know what you meant.

Thinking about it more now, perhaps you meant "inspiration" or maybe "have more ideas"?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!