News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Which "hands free" trick to start with?

Started by Fireproof, 27 November, 2014, 23:37:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireproof

Okay - so I ordered all three of Void & Donald's books.  Should be here Saturday or Monday and I'm sure will over lots of great advice and tips.

But in the meantime - what do you guys recommend for getting into "hands free" tricks.  I'm still pretty much a beginner, and working on the cup tricks and spike tricks and lighthouse for my first balance (nail it occasionally but have a long way to go for consistency). Anyway - I thought it would be fun to rotate in some work where I let go of the Ken and then either re-catch it or catch the ball or something.  But need to start simple - nothing like a Spacewalk Handroll, LOL.

What trick can I look up and start working on?

Thanks in advance!

the milky oolong

Pull-up Whirlwind Big Cup/Pull-up " Spike. Nothing is more important in my view in terms of 'free hand' tricks. Learning to understand how you can manipulate the ken along different axes is crucial to your oveall Kendama game. If you don't know what trick I'm referring to then search the forum. You will be seriously rewarded for your efforts in getting to grips with this trick.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

Fireproof

Thank you very much!  Will go search out that trick now and add it to my practice regime.  :)

BKA

Mini Spacewalks are a good place to start. Not too taxing if you just aim to finish them with a Big Cup. As opposed to where Void goes with them in this run:
http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1600.msg13497.html#msg13497

Fireproof

Cool - thanks!  I'll look for a mini spacewalk video.  Is it just a half-rotation or something?

The Void

The first three moves in the video in the post linked to are Mini-Spacewalks.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!