News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Cotton Reels

Started by The Void, 27 February, 2015, 23:07:17

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Here are a few variations of a new mount I came up with: The Cotton Reel.
Cotton Reels (kendama) - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

There's only one question, [user]Void[/user]; how can those seats be empty? There's seven of them! Seven!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

shalafi

I remember seeing them on Donald's videos a while ago.

When I tried them, I ended up with a different trick where you catch string and tama with the same hand, the weak one.

Cool video. Now, to outlink!
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

shalafi

So, I recorded the trick I mentioned in my previous comment.

It is kind of a C-Whip, so it is only hold in the finger, but I think it wouldn't be hard to do it with a cotton reel grip.

Main problem is that you end in your weak hand, and I'm not really sure how to continue from there, or even if it is a trick useful at all.

Anyway, here it is.

Pseudo C-whip / Cotton reel trick - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

The Void

I've seen Dimensions exit from this mount in a nice way recently: Keeping hold of the tama, tumble the ken forwards over your hand. Then swing it back up toward you (releasing the finger loop) into an Aeroplane or a 1-Turn Aeroplane (...or anything else you like!).

Strictly speaking, though, this isn't a Cotton Reel, as there's no thumb in the mount.

PS Oh, is the Cotton Reel one of yours, [user]donald grant[/user]? I thought I'd discovered/invented it myself, but I suppose it's quite like something you'd too. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Quote from: the milky oolong on 28 February, 2015, 01:57:23There's only one question, [user]Void[/user]; how can those seats be empty? There's seven of them! Seven!
I think this is either a joke or a reference I don't get...?

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 01 March, 2015, 10:56:45
I've seen Dimensions exit from this mount in a nice way recently: Keeping hold of the tama, tumble the ken forwards over your hand. Then swing it back up toward you (releasing the finger loop) into an Aeroplane or a 1-Turn Aeroplane (...or anything else you like!).

Interesting, I have to try those variations.

Quote from: The Void on 01 March, 2015, 10:56:45
PS Oh, is the Cotton Reel one of yours, [user]donald grant[/user]? I thought I'd discovered/invented it myself, but I suppose it's quite like something you'd too. :)

There is one trick similar from donald on past years collab video, but I guess there is no thumb involved on that, but getting into a trapeze stop from a swing is conceptually very similar.

shalafi

Quote from: The Void on 01 March, 2015, 11:02:24
Quote from: the milky oolong on 28 February, 2015, 01:57:23There's only one question, [user]Void[/user]; how can those seats be empty? There's seven of them! Seven!

I think he means that people should be using them to watch you perform.

The Void

Quote from: shalafi on 01 March, 2015, 13:07:12

Oh, I see, Silly me. If so, thanks TMO! :)

the milky oolong

The funniest jokes aren't the ones you have to explain, rather they're the ones other people have explain for you. [user]shalafi[/user], ten house points to you.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

LarsVegas

Quote from: shalafi on 01 March, 2015, 13:07:12

I didn't get it either. If I'd watch Void, then only with my forehead firmly pressed to the ground and no eye contact whatsoever. There's absolutely no need for any chair if you behave properly. [emoji18]
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

donald grant

Good bunch of variations there!

The actual mount is different from the ones that I do.  The inclusion of the thumb makes for a nice smooth exit (and perhaps suggests some sort of yo-yoing influence from your dim and distant past :) )

Cheers for the share (and chairs for the background....;) )

shalafi

So, here's my contribution to this trick, an entry from pinwheeled suns.

Pinwheeled suns to Cotton Reel - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

Not the best lightning, and I also missed the aeroplane, but it is fine for demo purposes.

The Void

Hey, nice entry. Just tried it - it flows nicely.