News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Review: Shin-Sakura kendama

Started by The Void, 07 July, 2011, 16:48:29

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Model: Shin-Sakura[nb]Translates as "New Cherry Blossom"[/nb]
Manufacturer: Art Yoshii, Japan
Seal: JKA, midnight blue

Packaging (the two on the right):

Nearly new (the pink blotch on the ball is a photographic artefact - a reflection of the sky):

Well used ball ("White" = bleached wood):

The inside of the rim just about gives an idea of the original finish:

Well used ken:

The Shin-Sakura was the updated version of the Sakura. The old version had an all-gold seal, and a square-profile slip-grip ridge. As you might expect from the name, the Shin-Sakura was made from cherry wood.

I ordered a white one for myself, thinking it looked the nicest colour of the ones I had seen in a photo. When it arrived, however, I found to my surprise that the white finish looked different to the other 3 colours (I had ordered a few others for friends). Whereas the red, blue and black were obviously painted, my white one was... different. I couldn't work out exactly what the finish was for a while, but then I read somewhere that the white was bleached wood. So, a silky-white-wood finish then. Interesting, different.

I had played with an unpainted (possibly a tk-16, I can't remember) kendama, and found it to be quite slippery for Lighthouses, etc, so I wasn't so keen on the idea of a 'bare' kendama, but I had it now. So I used it a little, and found it to be better than a standard wooden-ball kd, but not as nice as a painted ball. Then, it went into my workshop box of kendamas. For a couple of years, I regularly taught kendama workshops at British juggling conventions, so my Shin-Sakura certainly got a lot of use (hence the condition you see in the photos).

I suppose my conclusion is "it plays fine, I've nothing against it". Not that conclusive really, and I'd certainly like to hear other people's experiences of the Shin-Sakura, whether painted or bleached.

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Thorny

As requested, thank you! :D

I can tell you that the manufacturer of these kendama was Art Yoshii! I'm not sure if this is one man, or the company that produced them... but still.

I've enjoyed reading this, and I take it you own solely  the 'white' one and none others? Or do you also own the two un-opened in their package?

Either way, would you sell one (if you have more than one) of your Shin Sakura's?
If not... could you perhaps contact someone who might part with theirs?

I'm rather certain the answer will simply be "No." but if you don't ask you'll never know!

Again, thanks for writing this review! I appreciate it, as little as it was, there isn't much more information/photo's of Shin Sakura's lying around.

The Void

The two unopened ones were photographed at the end of 2007, and are long since gone.
I only own the white one pictured.
The opened red one photographed (last week) is owned by a friend of mine, and is almost new/unused. I will point her at this thread, and she can contact you if she's interested in selling it. I've no idea if she still has the packaging or not.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BKA

By the way, of course, you are subscribed to the main BKA site feed[nb]http://www.feed43.com/8128334220066043.xml[/nb], aren't you, so you know that there are a few Sakuras[nb]not Shin-Sakuras[/nb] to be had now[nb]http://www.goodsfromjapan.com/product/product-details.php?pID=0&cID=187&pdID=1258&pName=product-details&cName=Wooden%20Toys[/nb], although at a bit of a steep price. Right?

Thorny

Quote from: The Void on 08 July, 2011, 15:26:48
The opened red one photographed (last week) is owned by a friend of mine, and is almost new/unused. I will point her at this thread, and she can contact you if she's interested in selling it. I've no idea if she still has the packaging or not.

Thank you ever so much, Void! I'll eagerly await further contact on the matter!

And yes, I am aware of the Sakura's up for sale! I have a blue one already and have had it for a couple of months now, but thanks anyway!

Mark

This site describes the seal as Purple

http://kendamaspot.com/info/shin-sakura-kendama/

What should be put on my guide?
British STC: 2008 - 1st ....  2009 - 2nd ... 2011 - 4th
British Advanced Championship: 2011 - 4th

By markool89 at 2011-08-06

HansNickmans

Is the natural one from the type Sakura also bleached wood like Shin Sakura? Cause I was thinking on getting one.
Kendama Belgium!

Thorny

I've found the Shin Sakura kendama to be nothing short of brilliant!

Brody

Can you please ask your friend if she is willing to sell her shin Sakura I have been dreaming of owning one.

The Void

Quote from: Brody on 20 October, 2011, 01:48:40
Can you please ask your friend if she is willing to sell her shin Sakura I have been dreaming of owning one.
Too late, she's already sold it! :)

Thorny

Brody

Quote from: The Void on 20 October, 2011, 12:45:37
Quote from: Brody on 20 October, 2011, 01:48:40
Too late, she's already sold it! :)

Dang do you know anyone else that has one that they are willing to sell.

GbH

Does anyone know if a (used) Shin-Sakura is worth anything significant?  I think I know someone that has one.

BKA

The post above yours, and this thread would suggest that there is some demand. As for "worth", anything is only "worth" as much as someone is prepared to pay for it. An ebay sale would perhaps find out how much that is, and no doubt recoup at least the cost of a nice new kendama.

Thorny

As usual the BKA are right on the ball.

To the correct collector they are worth money, because of how elusive they really are.

I for one, would be willing to make an offer probably, so again, the BKA are right, there is some demand for them.