News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Tama grip (inverted/upside down tricks)

Started by BatDancer, 14 July, 2011, 07:40:33

Previous topic - Next topic

HansNickmans

I actually thought I invented stilts by using this way of thinking, imaging that he ken could balance on a tama like a tama could balance in bird (at that point I thought it was impossible). I don't think it's about inverting tricks, but inverting the 'pauzes'. Kendama is mainly going from one pauze to another with manipulations of the ken/tama in between. With pauzes I mean big cup, small cup, base cup, spike, birds, bats, wingwalkers, clifftops, thumb traps.... and manipulations are things like whirlwinds, earth turns, gunslingers, suicide tricks,... It is probably more detailed than those two categories, but this covers the majority of kendama tricks. Coming up with new things is taking random pauzes and putting different manipulations in between.

Crazy example: Bat --> Ken flip --> Bird --> Gunslinger --> Wingwalker --> Earth turn --> Spike

Now back to the 'inversions'. You can invert the pauzes very easily:
- Big cup --> Big cup lunar
- Small cup --> Small cup lunar
- Middle cup --> Lighthouse
- Spike --> Airplane
- Bird --> Stilts (both small and big)
- Bat --> Hammer (or what are they called?)
And than we get to the hard (or impossible ones)
--> Clifftop --> impossible?
--> Wingwalker --> impossible?
--> Slip grip special --> Depending on the length of the ken, I think it could be done...

The manipulations than are added in the same fashion, UFO's, Jumping stick, typhoons, again suicides...Basically any move that  flips (or doesn't) the tama or ken around any of its possibe axes. But the inversion only takes place on the pauzes.

Of course you can add the different grips, and the switching between grips to make even more crazy combo's, which supports the fact that the number of tricks is endless...

These were my thoughts on inverting tricks, my mind dares to wander at some times...

ps: One of the crazy pauzes not mentioned is 'naughty bird', as seen in this video    I really want to see someone inverting that one! I'd love to see a naughty bamboo horse
Kendama Belgium!

MasterKatra42

Quote from: shalafi on 29 August, 2011, 09:22:35
What about an inverted "around the world" ?

It is like: Small cup mooon landing -> (half) flip to moon landing -> lighthouse -> falling down. Nice!

Got that off camera twice today.  Boom.

I often think of things being upside down.  Upside down earth turn and jumping stick are the downstab versions of the regular tricks, because you're doing the trick, but inverting the direction you're doing it in.  When you switch what you're holding (ken or dama), I don't think it's inverse or upside down, I think it's mirrored.  Bird and stilts are mirror tricks.  The configuration is the same, but the roles are reversed.

shalafi

Quote from: MasterKatra42 on 31 August, 2011, 05:13:15
Quote from: shalafi on 29 August, 2011, 09:22:35
What about an inverted "around the world" ?

It is like: Small cup mooon landing -> (half) flip to moon landing -> lighthouse -> falling down. Nice!

Got that off camera twice today.  Boom.

That may be a cool VotW if you catch it on camera.

I was just wondering about slip grip special "mirrored"
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Quote from: HansNickmans on 30 August, 2011, 20:52:22Now back to the 'inversions'. You can invert the pauzes very easily:
- Bat --> Hammer (or what are they called?)
Axe
And than we get to the hard (or impossible ones)
--> Clifftop --> impossible?
--> Wingwalker --> impossible?
--> Slip grip special --> Depending on the length of the ken, I think it could be done...
If we're talking about a competition kendama, then Slip Grip Special and Clifftop are clearly not possible. If you allow a Wingwalker to be "Bird that doesn't touch the spike" (either directly in line with the sara-do, or only just off line from it, then a Wingwalker is just possible to Invert.
Quoteps: One of the crazy pauzes not mentioned is 'naughty bird', as seen in this video    I really want to see someone inverting that one! I'd love to see a naughty bamboo horse
Ha ha, Naughty Bird - Neat! How solid are you at that? ;)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AlexSmith

Ha! A month or so ago I was trying to see if 'inverted naughty bid' was a feasible trick. After playing around with it for a while I gave up for the time being.

AlexSmith

Also, Eric Martin and I were fooling around with 'inverted gripstalls' one day.
We discovered they weren't too tough... Once you clamp down on em with your thumb haha. I put them in the 'silly but sorta fun' trick category.

Dave

Right this lot sounds a bit too silly but after reading this thread i went outside and played with loads of ideas. i got a couple on film but i landed a lot more but they are super hard:

i got:
Inverse around the village: (Lunar landing to spike) :)
Inverse around Japan: (small cup  Lunar to Big Lunar spike)
Inverse around the world: (see above and film below)
Inverse around Europe: (Small Lunar spike Big Lunar spike Lighthouse Spike) (see film below)
Inverse Around the Cosmos: (cross stick stall spike small lunar spike big lunar spike lighthouse spike)
Inverse around the galaxy: (cross stick stall spike jumping stick small lunar spike jumping stick big lunar spike jumping stick lighthouse spike jumping stick)

had to do it for a laugh but the vids rant great:

http://juggling.tv/6666 ← Please go to JTV for HD/download

http://juggling.tv/6667 ← Please go to JTV for HD/download

http://juggling.tv/6668 ← Please go to JTV for HD/download

BALL AND CUP!

The Void

Top job Dave!

You missed out the Spikes in your description of Inverse Around Europe (but they are in the video)

Have to take issue with your Inverse 'Cosmos though: The first stall is the 'wrong' side of the sara-do (although the only possible version, so I'll let you off that), but also, you're missing the Spike catches.

Right, I'm off to Tesco for some bread, but when I come back, it's practice session time for me. I really need to work on my lunar transitions. Cheers dude!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Dave

Oops :) What is Around the Cosmos with no spikes called?
BALL AND CUP!

The Void