News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Has anyone made up there own around trick (and landed)

Started by Dimensions, 20 March, 2013, 17:39:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimensions

So I thought to myself the other day that there is nearly an infinite amount if around tricks sou have you made your own up (and landed it)

Here's one I did "around the UK" (I think that name hasn't been taken)
Cross piece> big cup> spike> base cup> little cup> spike
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

br4d24

I like to think I thought up the horizontal earth turn in pen grip, but I believe there are others who have already done this before me. I may be the first to get it on film though :)

I also like to do a loop around my finger with the tama and then spike it like a swinging spike. Or pen grip swinging spike. Im sure they have been done before but i havent seen those tricks in edits recently (that i can recall)

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Dimensions

Quote from: br4d24 on 20 March, 2013, 18:11:35
I like to think I thought up the horizontal earth turn in pen grip, but I believe there are others who have already done this before me. I may be the first to get it on film though :)

I also like to do a loop around my finger with the tama and then spike it like a swinging spike. Or pen grip swinging spike. Im sure they have been done before but i havent seen those tricks in edits recently (that i can recall)
I said AROUND TRICKS not any trick
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

JamesFM

I might have.. but I haven't thought of a name for it.

In Sara Grip I go: Big Cup, Small Cup, Big Cup, Bottom Cup, Big Cup, Spike.

br4d24

Haha derp! Read that wrong!

I always seem to go

Big
Sm
Big
Sm
Base
Spike
Earthturn

Around tricks really are just trick sequences :/ weird why they are called tricks like they stand alone. Its like saying each word is a letter

The Void

Quote from: Dimensions on 21 March, 2013, 08:08:29I said AROUND TRICKS not any trick
So you did. I apologise for being a lazy reader. In that case, search the forum for "Around Spain", "Around Tunbridge Wells" and "Around Denmark". There are probably others.

I'm pretty sure most players have thought about (or maybe have) creating their[nb]FYI "Their" indicates the possessive. "There" indicates a place.[/nb] own Around trick. The question is whether it catches on with other people. What's the magic key for that to happen? It could be that it's a difficult challenge (the second two examples above), or has been featured in a competition tricklist. Others tend to fall by the wayside, it seems.

Meanwhile... every Around Trick was made up by someone!  ;)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

Around the Pitfall (a Falling Down-Around thing I like to practise, though I think of it more like a run than an Around):

Flip Lighthouse>Falling Down (spike falling towards you)>Lighthouse>Falling Down (spike falling away from you)>Lighthouse>Falling... (sweeping spike left)>Lighthouse>Falling... (sweeping spike right)>Jumping Stick

(Each Lighthouse is of course a half-flip and not a reset. The sweeping catches are one outside-in, one inside to out, I try to catch them when the ken is pretty much horizontal, Rotor Blade fashion.)

As Void seems to be suggesting, it appears that Around tricks get remembered because their flow is memorable/aesthetically pleasing/challenging/tells somehow a story or uses a particular quirk of kendama (Around the Triangle is one I often see; not too difficult but very enjoyable and stylish). I think it's a good sign that players are enthusiastic about 'writing' an Around - it's all about letting your creativity show and experimenting, and even if you do make something infuriatingly difficult, you're always learning to control unusual transitions and building up trick-by-trick consistency.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

The Void

Quote from: the milky oolong on 21 March, 2013, 14:58:34
Around the Pitfall (a Falling Down-Around thing I like to practise, though I think of it more like a run than an Around):
Flip Lighthouse
There's that all-too-ambiguous word "flip" again. Do you mean Lighthouse Somersault, or do you mean Swing To Lighthouse (aka 1-Turn Lighthouse)? I've just been trying the latter...
Quote>Falling Down (spike falling towards you)>Lighthouse>Falling Down (spike falling away from you)>Lighthouse>Falling... (sweeping spike left)>Lighthouse>Falling... (sweeping spike right)>Jumping Stick
(Each Lighthouse is of course a half-flip and not a reset. The sweeping catches are one outside-in, one inside to out, I try to catch them when the ken is pretty much horizontal, Rotor Blade fashion.)
...spent 10 minutes on this, and it's the Falling Away that kills me. Got it a couple of times, only to then mess up on an easier move afterwards. I assume you've done it, Milky? Nice challenge.

the milky oolong

Ok, once again, with (hopefully) the correct terminology:

1 Turn Lighthouse (Swing to Lighthouse)
Falling Down (in)
Build the Lighthouse
Falling Down (away, out)
Build the Lighthouse
Falling Down (to the left: for the right-handed, an inside-to-out, Alex Ruisch-style catch)
Build the Lighthouse.     [<---Edited this in, as per your original description. - BKA]
Falling Down (to the right, Rotor Blade style catch)
Jumping Stick

I have managed it to the final trick and have fumbled the Jumping Stick pathetically (swish, clatter, groan), and yes, the Falling Down away from you is as just as awful and unnatural-feeling as a Jumping Stick in the forward direction. I love nailing the outward Falling Down though (in my case the one to the right), for a moment you feel like a certain Dutch Master, if you follow me...
Kendama Berlin

HansNickmans

There are two players from our group that came up with their own combo:

big cup --> half whirlwind to small cup --> base cup --> fast hand aeroplane
It's in this video by Marieke:
(the second trick after the tama comes loose)
I was thinking about calling it Around Belgium, since they're always doing that one. I've landed it a couple of times, but they're far more consistent.

Kendama Belgium!

The Void

Quote from: the milky oolong on 21 March, 2013, 18:09:53
1 Turn Lighthouse (Swing to Lighthouse)
Falling Down (in)
Build the Lighthouse
Falling Down (away, out)
Build the Lighthouse
Falling Down (to the left: for the right-handed, an inside-to-out, Alex Ruisch-style catch)
Build the Lighthouse.     [<---Edited this in, as per your original description. - BKA]
Falling Down (to the right, Rotor Blade style catch)
Jumping Stick

I have managed it to the final trick and have fumbled the Jumping Stick pathetically (swish, clatter, groan), and yes, the Falling Down away from you is as just as awful and unnatural-feeling as a Jumping Stick in the forward direction.
[noembed]Around The Pitfall[/noembed] by me.

the milky oolong

I am greatly honoured, and I feel for you, Void! What is it about that damn JS!
Kendama Berlin